How to Find Government Grants for Children with Special Needs

March 25, 2014 7:02 am


You can locate grants opportunities for children with special needs at the state and federal government levels as well as in the private sector. Some of these grants are for educational purpose and some may be for personal and family development. Use these tips to help you find grants for children with special needs.


1) Be part of an association

Find Children with Special Needs charity associations to join at the national or local levels. Membership in these groups is generally free and they provide educational and advocacy services for children with disabilities and their parents. These groups may also know of public and private resources available for children. Locate these groups online or use a telephone directory.

2) Federal grants

Look at the Federal government level for grants for children with special needs. Go to the federal department of education’s website at Identify grants opportunities and read about the purpose and requirements of the grants before you apply. This agency offers pre- school grants and many other grants for children with disabilities. Click on the “grants opportunities” link. This link will provide a list of grants created under the federal Stimulus Recovery Act.

3) State grants

Search for your State Education’s department and for the Children Administration department to find grant opportunities for children with special needs. Find the grants eligibility requirements and complete the application process. It’s a good idea to call and speak to someone about the grant process. A staff at the government’s agencies can explain the procedures and may provide tips for completing the application.

4) Specific special needs organization

Find specialized organizations for children with disabilities to find grant opportunities. For example, the National Autism Association provides charity and government grant opportunities for children with autism and for the families. The funds are granted based on financial needs. Check the association internet site to complete the application and find out the deadline.

5) Social workers and School counselors

Speak to a social worker or a counselor in school or hospital to learn about grant opportunities for children with special needs. These professionals may have access to state and local resources that provide money. Discuss your financial situation and your need to apply for children grants.